Well last night turned out to be a great evening for our family thanks to the Denver Broncos win over the Steelers. My husband was absolutely ecstatic and my pup was confused all night wondering why his name was being repeated over and over. All the news talked about was ”Tebow, Tebow, Tebow” and now my pup has an ego the size of Invesco Field.
NOT Invesco Field, but Tim and I at the Broncos vs. Browns game in the fall of 2008, the trip was an anniversary gift from me!
Since yesterday marked three months since our wedding, Tim surprised me with a bright and sunny bouquet of flowers. I got my fill of Sunflowers, Daisies and even Hydrangeas, which had surrounded the top of our centerpiece vases at our wedding.
An early apology for excessive football celebrating to come, perhaps?
After getting such a thoughtful gift from my husband, I wanted to do something special for him. I know that like many men, the best way to get to his heart is through his stomach. I love to take comfort foods he loves, and create them in a way to keep him healthy and here with me as long as possible!
Jersey Shore, "Meatball Problems"
No, not these two! Oddly enough though, Jersey Shore reminds me of my honeymoon in Jamaica. When it would pour down the rain we would rest in the room and there would of course be a Jersey Shore marathon on MTV. We never watched the show regularly, but for some reason once we started it was hard to look away. A mindless way to spend part of our time while on a beautiful island? Perhaps. However, any moment I was with my new husband laughing and being rediculous together was paradise for me!
Enter the real star of the show, Turkey Meatball Subs:
Ground Turkey Breast Meatball Subs
1) 1-1.25 pounds Ground Turkey Breast
2) 1/2 cup Italian Style Panko Breadcrumbs
3) 1/2 cup Oats
4) 1 Egg
5) 1 can Sliced Mushrooms, drained
6) 2 minced Garlic Cloves
7) Pinch of Salt and Pepper
8) Dried Oregano to taste
9) Dried Basil to taste
10) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
11) 1/2 thinly sliced Onion
12) 1 jar Pasta Sauce
13) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
14) Whole Wheat Hoagie Rolls
1) Heat grill pan over medium heat.
2) Use a paper towel to spread extra virgin olive oil on pan.
3) Place ingredients 1-9 into large mixing bowl.
4) Mix with hands gently until all ingredients combined.
5) Roll mixture into balls roughly 2 inches large.
6) Place meatballs into oiled pan, a few centimeters a part. Cook 4-6 minutes, then continue turning on each side 3-5 minutes until browned and cooked through.
7) Remove meatballs and place into bowl.
8) Add sliced onions to pan and cook 4-6 minutes until lightly golden and caramelized.
9) Remove onions and set aside.
10) Pour pasta sauce into pan and bring to boil. Add meatballs back into pan and simmer on low 5 minutes.
11) Place 2-3 meatballs with sauce on bun. Add caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese.
12) Broil on High 1-2 minutes in oven until bread is lightly browned and cheese is hot and melty.
Comfort Food at its Finest
Feed one or two of these sandwiches to your honey, and be prepared to hear a touchdown cheer!
Questions for the Readers-
Did you watch the game last night? If so, who were you cheering for, the Broncos or Steelers?
Do you ever get sucked into watching Jersey Shore marathons? What is it about the show that makes you not change the channel?