It’s as close to the end of the work week as possible without it actually being Friday. After two busy holiday weekends in a row, it has been a challenge getting used to our puppy and trying to get back into the swing of things at work. I also haven’t been to the grocery in a couple weeks knowing we would not be home. When I do go, I try to only buy as much as I think we will eat before the next trip. I was always taught not to waste food and luckily Tim has no problem eating leftovers right along with me. I usually freeze whatever we don’t eat, and then just bring it out of the freezer for quick and easy weeknight meals. This saves us money since we eat everything we bought, while also saving time and effort during a busy week.
I am planning a big grocery trip this weekend so I am trying to use up ingredients we have on hand. I saw chicken breasts and mixed veggies both in the freezer and wanted to incorporate those. I got a Betty Crocker email yesterday that had a recipe for chicken pot pie. I knew I had All Purpose Mix from Trader Joe’s I could use for the crust, so I thought I would create my own rendition that was easy as pie.
Chicken Pot Pie
1/2 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
extra virgin olive oil
3-4 chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken & mushroom soup
1 cup of milk (I used skim)
1 frozen bag of mixed vegetables (mine contained carrots, peas, green beans and corn)
1 1/4 cup All Purpose Baking Mix (I used Trader Joe’s)
2 tbsp. softened butter
1/2 cup milk (again, I used skim)
1 egg white
Salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Directions for Filling
1) Bring large pot of water to a boil and add chicken breasts. Boil 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked through.
2) Take chicken out of pot and shred with fork, or my favorite way, with a hand mixer. (I was taught this trick by a friend and it really is the easiest way to shred chicken, you don’t even need to wait for it to cool!) Set aside.
3) Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
I like to use the Pampered Chef Garlic Press to mince. It keep your hands from smelling like garlic and is easy to use.
3) Lightly coat bottom of a pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Cook onion and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent.
4) Add in mixed vegetable and heat through.
5) Add in Soup and Milk. Mix and bring to a boil.
6) Add in shredded chicken and mix.
7) Place filling in oven safe dish.
Directions for Biscuit Topping
1) Cut in butter into Baking Mix using a pastry knife, or a fork.
2) Pour in milk and mix until a dough-like consistency is formed.
3) Shape into rounds and place on top of filling mix.
4) Brush with egg white. Sprinkle top with salt, pepper and dried rosemary.
Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes. Broil on high 1 minute until topping is golden brown. Enjoy!