I am so excited because the fabulous Ashley over @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries tagged me in a fun ‘getting to know you’ post. It took me a little while to complete it, because I wanted to be really thorough and put some thought into what I was saying. Being newer to the blog world, I love reading these and getting to know the creative people behind the scenes. The rules were a little confusing, but I tried my best. Hopefully this helps you to learn a little more about me as well, so here we go! 🙂
Here are the survey “rules”:
#1: You must post these rules.
#2: Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
#3: Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
11 Things About Me
1) I was a competitive gymnast from age 5 to 14, going to practice 4 days a week, 3 1/2 hours at a time. At my peak,I was a level 9 gymnast, and was getting pretty good at doing back handspring-back handsprings on the beam, round off handspring one and half full twists, and back vaults on the bars. When I was 13 years old I put my arm down the wrong way on the trampoline while working front layouts, and dislocated my elbow for the second time, breaking it for the third. At that point, I had to have surgery and now have a screw in my left elbow to show for my risk taking. I tried to get back into gymnastics when I was healed, but after this accident my heart just wasn’t in it anymore. I decided to transition into high school and competitive cheerleading at this time, and I very quickly found a new love! I hoped to cheer in college, but battled some nerve damage in my legs and had to retire at 18.
High School Football Cheerleading
2) I started dating my now husband when I was 15 years old, and he was 18! He was really good friends with my brother and they played baseball together. Tim asked for his permission to take me on a date, my brother said yes, and the rest is history! He is my best friend in the world, comforts me when I need it, and never gets mad at me when I have those days of being overly-emotional. He is patient, kind, and the type of man who will be a great daddy someday. After a lot of trials & tribulations, love really did conquer all and we got married in my dream ceremony October 8th, 2011.
You may now kiss the bride!
3) Every year since I was a baby, we have gone to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for summer vacation. My grandparents had an RV and started taking my mom and her sister when they were little, and the tradition just continued. Last year was the first time we hadn’t gone, we went to Destin, Florida instead, and we missed it a lot. This year we are going back, because we learned sometimes you really shouldn’t mess with tradition!
4) I graduated from college with my bachelor’s degree in 3 years. I attended Ohio State and majored in Journalism, with a minor in Education. I wasn’t sure what I wanted as a career, but all I knew was that I loved to write and knew if I did that the rest of my life, I could be happy. To me, nothing is more appealing than the written word. Putting your heart on paper is so raw and liberating, it is my passion. I loved my time in Columbus and miss the RPAC, Thompson Library, The Oval, and of course Ohio Stadium.
5) While a buckeye, I also wrote for the student newspaper, The Lantern. I had a lot of fun, but it was also very trying. It took up a lot of time, caused a lot of stress, and tested my drive, creativity and belief in my writing. I am proud of every. single. article. I wrote and published. I was very nervous at first to do cold calls, and interview my subjects, but by the end I had developed a routine and knew what I was doing. It taught me that I can succeed in the writing world, and it gave me real world experience that can’t be taught in a classroom. If you are interesting in reading a handful of my articles, check out:
- ‘The Nutcracker’ finds home at Ohio Theatre
- ‘Holiday Pops’ with Columbus Symphony
- Columbus band comes home to the Newport
- Floats are avenue for artistic ventures
- Reality show dancers dazzle in Columbus
The best for last: For my favorite interview, I got to attend a Zac Brown Band concert and go to the meet and greet dinner with the band before the show. AMAZING experience!!
6) I am so incredibly close to my mom. She is my role model and taught me to have courage, belief, and faith in myself always. She encourages me every day of my life to be the best person I can be. She is the reason I am who I am today, and she really believes I can not only do, but succeed at anything life throws at me. I hope to be half as good of a wife, mom, daughter, sister and friend as she is every day.
7) I have been blessed with so many amazing girlfriends. My bridesmaid’s consisted of 6 girls who are unbelievable in every sense of the word. They have been there for me through every obstacle that has been thrown at me in my life, and they helped me to become the confident woman I am today. These girls sure know how to build each other up when one of us is feeling down. I appreciate every single one of them and the joy they bring into my life!
At my Bachelorette Party!
8) I have two other men in my life, besides my husband and our puppy boy. My dad and my brother were the main men in my life for my first 22 years. They may be overprotective at times, but I know it’s only because they love me and want what’s best for me. I was blessed to be shown what courage, strength, kindness and caring looks like in a man. This helped me to realize what I needed and wanted to find in my future husband.
Any single ladies out there?! He is on the market.. 😉
9) I have a white tattoo on my right wrist. It says Psalm 121 and it’s in my grandma’s handwriting. I know I am bragging about the wonderful people in my life, but my grandmother was a real angel on earth. She passed away from cancer the fall of my freshmen year of college. I wanted a way to remember her, so I had my mom ask her what her favorite bible verse was. She said Psalm 121, and my mother asked her to write ‘Psalm 121’ on a piece of paper. I took it to a tattoo shop in Columbus and had it tattooed on my wrist in her exact handwriting. I chose white because the tattoo was strictly done for me, as a way to remember her. Whenever I am feeling down, I look at my wrist and think of her.
If you look really closely, you can see Psalm 121 wrote out in white.
10) I absolutely love to travel and go on vacation! My favorite places I have ever been to visit, include:
- Key West
The top places I would love to go during my lifetime are:
11) I have a very strong Christian faith and try to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God. I am not perfect by any means, far from it, but my goal every day is to try and shine the light of the Lord to others through my words and actions. I do not push my religion onto anyone, for I feel beliefs are a personal decision. However, I do hope my own happiness draws in others and encourages them to learn more about Christ and where my hope, joy and comfort comes from.
Now here are the questions from Ashley with my answers!
1. What is your favorite food of all time?
I would say it’s a big bowl of angel hair with marinara, grilled chicken and parmesan cheese! My favorite dessert is a Chocolate Chip Pizookie from BJ’s Brewhouse
2. How did you discover the healthy living blog community?
To be honest, I really don’t remember! I am pretty sure I googled Healthy Living, or Healthy meals and I found one blog, which led to another, and another. I have been reading these blogs since 2008 and Tina, Kath, Meghann, and Caitlin’s were the very first ones I ever read.
3. What inspired you to start your own blog?
After reading so long, I finally took the chance! I started a blog in 2009 called Chocolate Dipped Buckeye, but could not find my voice and in return got bored and quit. This time though, I know exactly who I want to be (me!!) and what I want my blog to be about.
4. Sweet or savory?
5. Cooking or baking? Or neither?
I enjoy both, but it really depends on my mood. I love to bake when I feel like being calm and relaxing. Cooking for me is a little more high speed and better when I have more energy!
6. Describe your “perfect day”.
I would wake up, not tired at all! Go for a nice 3 mile run with my husband as the sun is rising. We would then shower and get ready for brunch. There I would have nice and fluffy banana pecan whole grain pancakes, egg whites, and a smooth cup of coffee! After that we would go shopping for hours and I could have fun playing dress up, while my husband doesn’t complain! We would get frozen yogurt as an afternoon snack and would then head back to our house, have time for a 2 hour nap, then get ready for dinner. At dinner would be our family and closest friends. We would spend the whole time laughing, talking, drinking good wine, and finishing dinner off with a delicious chocolate dessert. I would then fall asleep next to my husband, with my little Tebow laying in his bed next to us!
OR… I would relive my wedding day! Best day ever for me!
7. How would you describe your personality?
Some people mistake my shyness for being stuck-up, but that’s not true! I really am very friendly, I just get nervous initially around people I don’t know real well. I open up though once I feel comfortable. I am also a control freak who has a major type a personality! I want everything to be perfect, even though I know there is no such thing!!
8. What is your favorite store?
I can’t choose just one! For clothes and undergarments: Banana Republic, Von Maur, Victoria’s Secret, and Francesca’s Collections Home Decor: Crate and Barrel, Home Goodes , Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma Food: Whole Foods!!
9. Would you rather get new workout clothes or everyday clothes?
Tough one! I think new workout clothes, because it motivates me to go exercise so I can wear my new outfit!
10. Treadmill or outdoors?
Outdoors, but I am honestly usually on the treadmill since you don’t have to mess with weather, running alone at night, etc.
11. Tell me a funny story.
I think it’s hilarious sometimes how people find my blog! One google search that led a reader to find me was “Tim Tebow Cutie”!! AHH I loved it! If every time someone tried to find information on Tim Tebow and my little blog came up, I would be a happy camper! Ha Ha, but seriously, I don’t care how anyone finds my blog as long as they do! 🙂
Now I want to tag a few bloggers to answer my questions:
If I tagged you, please answer these questions:
1) Where is your favorite place to go on vacation? What is your dream vacation?
2) What sports or activities were you involved in as a child, or in high school?
3) Do you have any pets?
4) If you could eat any food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
5) What is your favorite movie?
6) Who is your biggest role model?
7) If you won the lottery, what would you buy?
8) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
9) If you had one cheat meal during the week, what would it be?
10) Is there a food you used to love, but now would never even think of eating?
11) What makes you the happiest?
Whoo!! That was long, and if you’re still with me at this point, I am very impressed! I hope though that this will help my readers to gain a little more insight about who I am!
Answer one of the questions above. I want to learn about you too!! 🙂